Brown says he is seeking counseling from loved ones and family members, one week after an alleged attack against his girlfriend, singer Rihanna.
"Words cannot begin to express how sorry and saddened I am over what transpired. I am seeking the counseling of my pastor, my mother and other loved ones and I am committed, with God's help, to emerging a better person."
The 19-year-old R&B singer issued a brief statement today through publicist Michael Sitrick. In it, Brown also says many of the reports about the incident are incorrect, although he doesn't provide further details.
"Much of what has been speculated or reported on blogs and/or reported in the media is wrong. While I would like to be able to talk about this more, until the legal issues are resolved, this is all I can say except that I have not written any messages or made any posts to Facebook, on blogs or any place else. Those posts or writings under my name are frauds."
Screengrabs of a fake Facebook page circulated online late last week, but was quickly determined to be a hoax.
Brown turned himself in on Feb. 8 and was booked on suspicion of making a criminal treath, but no charges have been filed yet. He is free on $50,000 bail while the case is being investigated.
On Friday, Brown's father said his son is at home and "very remorseful" over what happened. Rihanna is now at home in Barbados recuperating.
(Originally published Feb. 15, 2009 at 12:08 p.m. PT.)